Are you looking for a new surfing destination? Look no further than Ocean City, Maryland. With miles of sandy beaches, consistent swells, and a friendly surfing community, Ocean City is a surfer’s paradise. In this guide, we’ll take you through everything you need to know to make the most of your surfing experience in Ocean City.
Best Time to Surf:
Ocean City is a year-round surfing destination, but the best time to catch the biggest swells is during hurricane season, which runs from June to November. During this time, surfers can expect consistent waves, ranging from 3 to 6 feet. However, beginners may want to avoid surfing during hurricane season, as the waves can be quite powerful and challenging.
Best Surf Spots:
Ocean City has several popular surf spots that cater to surfers of all skill levels. Some of the best spots include:
- Assateague Island: Located just south of Ocean City, Assateague Island offers miles of sandy beaches and consistent waves. This spot is popular with longboarders and beginners.
- 48th Street: This spot is ideal for intermediate and advanced surfers, with consistent swells and a challenging break.
- Inlet Beach: Located at the south end of the Ocean City boardwalk, Inlet Beach offers a consistent break and is a popular spot for surfers of all levels.
Tips for Surfing in Ocean City:
- Know your limits: Ocean City can have some challenging waves, so make sure you’re aware of your skill level and don’t try to tackle waves that are too big for you.
- Respect the locals: Ocean City has a tight-knit surfing community, so be respectful and friendly to other surfers in the water.
- Check the conditions: Always check the surf report before heading out, and be aware of any potential hazards, such as rip currents or jellyfish.
- Stay safe: Wear a wetsuit to protect yourself from the cold water and rocks, and always surf with a friend or in a group.
Other Activities in Ocean City:
When you’re not surfing, there are plenty of other activities to keep you busy in Ocean City. Check out the Ocean City boardwalk, which is home to numerous restaurants, shops, and amusement park rides. If you’re a nature lover, head to nearby Assateague Island National Seashore to see the wild ponies that roam the island.
Ocean City is a fantastic destination for surfers of all levels. With consistent waves, beautiful beaches, and a friendly surfing community, it’s no wonder why so many surfers flock to this spot year after year. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting out, Ocean City has something to offer every surfer. So pack your board, hit the waves, and enjoy all that this amazing destination has to offer!