If you’re looking to improve your surfing performance, using your back hand is a key technique to master. Here are some tips on how to properly execute this crucial step:
- Understand the mechanics: Your back hand is essential for steering your board and maintaining balance. By using it, you can control your turns and maintain your speed.
- Practice your movements: To use your back hand effectively, you’ll need to practice your movements on dry land first. Start by standing on a balance board or a yoga ball and using your back hand to steer and balance.
- Get into position: When you’re ready to hit the waves, position yourself correctly on your board. Your back hand should be placed on the rail of the board, with your arm extended behind you.
- Use your back hand to turn: As you approach a turn, use your back hand to initiate the turn by pushing down on the rail. This will help you steer your board and maintain your speed.
- Maintain your balance: As you use your back hand to turn, make sure to maintain your balance by shifting your weight towards the back of the board. This will help you maintain control and stability.
- Practice makes perfect: Like any new technique, using your back hand may take some practice to perfect. Keep practicing until you feel comfortable and confident with the movement.
By using your back hand effectively, you’ll be able to improve your surfing technique and become a more efficient surfer. So next time you’re out on the water, give this key technique a try and see the difference it can make.